Sunday, May 26, 2013

Epic Citadel Coaster


May 26th, 2013

Installation:
The funny thing with this simulation is that it was created by someone without an Oculus with an innocent "can someone try this out" posting. Obviously it caught on in a big way. Installation was a breeze. You just download it, install it and you are good to go.
You can find it here:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=17157

Strange to say but I didn't find the ride scary at all. I rode it 3 times in a row last night. The third time did me in but it had nothing to do with heights/speed...

Camera Control
The first two times I tried to rotate my head to keep me facing in the direction of the track. I found myself looking in strange directions during the ride. This was after 3 trips to Tuscany and several to Half Life 2. I was used to being in control of my perspective and wasn't ready for a simulation that wanted to control it.

The Third Lap
On the third lap I purposely didn't move my head and let the simulation control it. When you go down the first hill, the camera turns to the right away from the track. It this spins your head around as you hit the bottom of the curve. I continued to let the simulation control the perspective and by the end I was extremely lightheaded. I took off the Oculus and felt ill like I'd taken one too many shots of whiskey. This was at 1am last night and I just went to bed after that. Took a while to fall asleep.

Overall
The ride doesn't scare me. My reaction was more to the simulation yanking my viewpoint around. Movement out of sync with my body already causes dizziness for an Oculus Noob such as myself. Throw into the mix a simulation in control of the viewpoint and you've got a recipe for Noob illness.

I'll try it again in a week or so after I have my VR footing but for now, I'll pass on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment