Monday, September 23, 2013

Forester Pro


September 23, 2013

I've spent a lot of time over the last few days building trees in blender using Sapling, texture mapping them and exporting them into UDK. Although the results looked nice, it required a lot of work.

I started digging around and found "Forester Pro". This gem of a program costs $20. You get a bunch of standard trees to start with and can buy additional packs for $10 each. That is dirt cheap considering the cost of 3D studio max stuff.

At first I was skeptical. I figured I wouldn't have the control I needed to get the vertexes down to a reasonable amount. I was wrong.

Within 30 minutes I had created a tree with about 500 faces that imported smoothly into UDK:


In another 15 minutes I had a forest of birch and maple trees I was able to walk around in:


It also automatically generated 2 LOD models and can build in animation. I don't know exactly how to enable the animation or LODs yet but I think with a bit of effort I'll have that nailed down tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment